By David Mc Williams
THIS is Enda’s eggshell referendum. For the Taoiseach knows all too well that there are few political minefields more lethal to the longevity of a government than a constitutional referendum and anything to do with children or family.
And so there was never any doubt that the wording of the Children’s Referendum would be meticulously picked over by legal-eagles for loopholes or for any hint of hubris before being unveiled — there couldn’t be the slightest suggestion that this was a charter for social-worker shock-troops to be able to snatch howling infants from their anguished mothers.
Lord knows, there are enough citizens cheesed off with the Government already, what with health cuts and household charges, without enraging a whole new swathe of voters by portraying themselves as something akin to the Child Catcher from ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’.
Finally the wording was ready for release yesterday (though its moniker 42A sounds more like a bus than an amendment).
Enda, Eamon Gilmore and Children’s Minister Frances Fitzgerald all trooped into the press centre in Government Buildings before noon. The trio were at pains to emphasise the importance of the referendum……………………….
- Frances Fitzgerald denies rushing children’s referendum wording – RTÉ News (misebogland.wordpress.com)
- Government sets November 10 date for Children’s Referendum (independent.ie)
- ‘Second chance’ for children (independent.ie)
- [Top5@5] Government: Children’s referendum is historic (newstalk.ie)
- Silly season is over. Send in the clowns. (namawinelake.wordpress.com)
- Children’s Rights referendum takes place November 10th (newstalk.ie)
- Tanaiste revealed he wasn’t told about HSE chief resignation (newstalk.ie)