The 55% rate for self-employed contractors with few benefits has led many of my engineering friends to emigrate, and knowing it is all going to pay for the banks’ mistakes means I won’t be back, writes Jack B
There has been a lot of talk in the last few weeks, in Ireland and abroad, regarding the “Anglo Tapes” which have become infamous around Europe. Currently I am gainfully employed in Germany, and I’ve seen the mounting animosity towards Ireland recently first-hand in my new country of residence.
People who are aware I’m Irish have been questioning “how much did I know was going on?” It’s becoming increasingly difficult to put the palms out and admit I was aware were being carried out in a haphazard way. All it does is engender to my fellow Europeans how much of a bunch of blackguards the Irish truly are……………….
By Thomás O Cléirigh
I was self-employed and I am now registered as unemployed for the past 5 years. I have not received any assistance from the state , No Dole and no financial assistance whatsoever : I paid all my taxes over the years and at one stage had over 6 full time employees working for me .I was in the hotel and catering business not the building industry and I am discussed with the revelations of Anglo and also with the payment our self-serving political lackeys who infest in the Dial. The self-employed of this country are an easy scape goat and an easy touch I agree with the body of the above article and the gombeens in the Dail will learn soon enough that you cannot suck the people dry and expect them to continue to lie-down and take it forever, push the people so far and you will end up with open revolt! Roll on the Irish revolution !
- “Austerity and Evections will push people to open revolt” (thepressnet.com)
- Irish stoicism over Anglo should not be mistaken for complacency, Gilmore says (irishtimes.com)
- Diarmaid Ferriter: “History will ask how the Irish could be so docile in face of such betrayal” (maxkeiser.com)
- Nanny state reversal – Ireland’s elected representatives need to be nannied (irishcentral.com)
- Dáil bar stayed open until 5am (irishtimes.com)
- Fraud squad was on brink of arresting Drumm (independent.ie)
- Merkel highlights failings in Irish data protection ahead of EU action (irishtimes.com)
- Ireland’s anger over Anglo tapes shifts in the right direction to Irish government’s Department of Finance and Central Bank (irishcentral.com)